Harnessing the power of Smart Groups on LogTen Pro X for iOS
NEW! Now with LogTen Pro X you can share Smart Groups direct from your iOS device by tapping on the 'i' to the right of the smart group, then tapping on the 'Action' button on the top right and choosing 'Share' (via airdrop, text message or email!)
Smart Groups are one of the most powerful features of LogTen Pro. Smart Groups let you quickly view your totals based on any attribute of your flying.
When you launch Logten Pro X and navigate to the Radar tab, you'll notice the new 'Analyse' and 'Plan' views.
If you tap on the Plan view, you'll notice that there are a number of limits and currencies that have been set up as standard for you – things like Day/Night and instrument currency and for commercial pilots, some key duties and limits groups.
And when you tap on the Analyze tab, you can view flight time for different time periods: the last week, month, year, 28 days, and 12 months.
Currency, Limit, and regular Smart Groups work in very similar ways, but they will display their information differently. Currencies will count down the number of days you are still current. Limit groups will show the amount of time remaining until you reach the specified limit. Smart Groups enable you to keep count of any value based on the parameters you choose.
The standard currency, limits and groups mentioned above are the tip of the iceberg! Dig a little deeper and you will find an incredibly flexible and versatile tool which enables you to:
- Track totals for ANY criteria you choose, and you can customize criteria specific to your situation ... want to see flights logged with night time greater than 2 hrs in a B757? No problem.
- Look forward and back in time – so you can make a “30 in 7″ duty limit that looks back 6 days and forward 24 hours for example
- Set maximums for currency groups, enabling you to handle currencies that require a certain amount of one thing but no more than X of another. E.g. 3 hours total instrument, but no more than 1 hour simulated.
- Choose from several options for what data to display next to the group, instead of just Total Time you can choose from PIC Time, Landings, or a count of matching flights
STEP 1: Tap the "Radar" tab and then the "Analyze" tab on the top right, then tap the “+” button at the top left of the screen.
STEP 2: Name your smart group. For this example, we’re going to sort for tailwheel time, so we’ll name the group Tailwheel.
STEP 3: Set the date range. You can look back as well as forward to keep an eye not only on where you’ve been but make sure you’re not hitting limits any time in the near future. So we add the last 12 months as a time limit.
STEP 4: Choose your criteria. Please play around with this, you’ll see that with the ability to customize criteria, you can pretty much sort based on anything your heart desires. For this example, we'll choose Aircraft and Tailwheel.
Tap on the field and voila, your new smart group is tracking your total tailwheel for the last 12 months.
The beginning and ending of where a group's entries are populated from are between the "In Last" and "In Next" times. Here are the differences between Consecutive, Calendar, and regular time frames. Days will be used in the following examples but Hours, Weeks, Months, and Years work identically.
Days (regular) will look back in multiples of 24 hours from the current time. For example, if it's currently 1647 PST, a group with In Last 1 Day will look back to 1647 PST yesterday.
Calendar Days looks back to the beginning of the previous day, so 1 Calendar Day looks back to 0000 yesterday or "one calendar day ago", regardless of the current time. 0 Calendar days would be just the current day.
Consecutive Days allows a group to specify a certain amount of time that will automatically reset the group to zero.
Note: Consecutive Days should only be used for the reset functionality
P.S. If you want help setting up a more complicated Smart Group or further guidance, please don’t hesitate to contact our support team!
- How to print your logbook from your iOS device (iPad/iPhone/iPod)
- Harnessing the power of Smart Groups on LogTen Pro X for iOS
- Save Time With Auto-Fill Times on LogTen Pro X for iOS
- Extracting Data directly from your device or an iTunes Backup on a Mac
- How To Customize Default Roles with iOS
- View all